Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Letter to my MFW Friends



I am part of several groups on Facebook that use the My Father's World curriculum.  I only use the MFW Kindergarten and 1st grade level before moving on to other things.  I love interacting with these very dedicated women.  Some of these wonderful ladies have committed to not just doing K or 1st but they have older children with which they are trying to do the MFW upper levels.  Honestly, that was not something I could ever wrap my little brain around.  I think I ended up going with a more difficult program for our history but for some reason I just simply couldn't figure out how to make the other levels of MFW world with all my kids.  I digress.  This wasn't the purpose for my post today.  

As we are getting into the midst of everyone starting school, I am seeing lots of "help me" posts. Whether it's toddlers wanting to be the center of everything, diaper messes, or school aged children who have just decided that school is not for them (that has been my battle for 2 weeks and it came to a head this morning), we are all struggling with something. 


There was one post that really got my attention today.  I had an answer all ready.  My answer wasn't gentle though.  After I read it again it just had a "what's wrong with you" kind of answer.  As if I had all the answers when my kids were the age of their children.  Hello stupid!!  Sheesh Karen!!  I was slapping myself.   I scrapped it and sat for while.  Then I remembered back to the earlier days when I had 7 children ranging in ages of newborn to 11.  My children are not really very far apart.  I have literal stair steps.  But I received a spiritual reprimand from the Lord to remember where I've come from.  To remember the encouragement other moms had offered me in those times.  So rather than give advice today, I decided to act on that reprimand and do something different.  


I was going to post this on the Facebook pages but I decided to put it in blog form.  It was getting to be too long for FB and I decided to put it on a prettier page.  :)  


So here's my message to all my MFW mommies (and others who might be helped):  


I want to encourage all of you that we serve a God of great comfort and love toward each and every one of you and your children.  He sees everything that happens. He knows before you wake what will happen. Yet His promise is that His mercies are new every morning. You can rest in that fact today. 


"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
"therefore I will hope in him." 
Lamentations 3:22-24 ESV)

Your school does not have to be perfect. 
He is already perfect for you. 

Your children don't have to perform like your friend's children. 
He did it for them. 

You don't have to be the pinterest perfect mom. Haha!!  

He already did it for us. 

Ladies, God's grace is sufficient for you. 


But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my 
power is made perfect is weakness."  Therefore I will boast 
all the more gladly of my weakness, so that the power of 
Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV)

Through your weaknesses, HIS power is made perfect. 

Done.  Finished.  What you do is enough.  And where it isn't, He's already done it for you. 


So drop what you are doing right now and go hug your babies. If you've had a bad day and lost your cool, apologize for that. Let them see your weakness in order that your God may be glorified and His power made perfect. If you've got problems you don't know how to fix, go to Him and then rest and trust He will answer. That stinky sweet little 2yod that won't do anything you give them to do so you can get school done was put there to sanctify YOU. Let Him do that by driving you into His arms and His word. 


Sanctify them in the truth;
your word is truth. (John 17:17 ESV)

I just sensed the frustration in so many of you right now. Please believe me when I say I really understand. I am very close to being out do the trenches but I haven't forgotten. I have wrestled with my fair share of sleepless wonders in my earlier days. I still have a preschooler who is in and out of needing naps.  It's so very obvious when that child is growing.  Good grief, child, SLEEP!!  (Said quite often in my house.)  I have to sit in her room to get her to fall asleep (or read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.  There's a running joke now in our house that HooLee hates Mrs. Piggle Wiggle because every time I read it to her, she ends up taking a nap.  Mommy LOVES Mrs. Piggle Wiggle!!!)  I still have a child who just hates school and would rather play (told me so today.) Oh to know the balance in requiring school and meeting his need to simply roam and be a free spirit. God will answer. I believe. 


I love this verse:  


"He will tend his flock like a shepherd;
he will gather the lambs in his arms; 
he will carry them in his bosom, and gently
lead those that are with young."
(Isaiah 40:11 ESV)

These little ones are our sheep.  He promises to lead us and help us.  Trust that He will in His perfect timing.  


"...shepherd the flock of God that is among you,
exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but 
willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain,
but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge,
but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:2-3 ESV)

This is one of my favorite Mommy songs.  I listen to this so much when I need to remember His faithfulness to me.  I'm sure you all have heard it.  Enjoy it regardless.  




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful message in this post!

    We all have those days that are super frustrating. Good to remember that His grace is sufficient. Thanks for the encouragement.

    www.agirlwithnostrings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete